18 months to finishJumpsuit Vogue 9075
Bonjour, Bel Bonjou!!
What is your longest ever project? Mine is definitely an embroided bed throw I started when I was 20….I am now 40+. It is one of those long life project I will finish in my old age I guess.
In comparison, however, 18 months to finish the simple Vogue 9075 is very questionable!!!!
Why so long?
I initially loved the fabric I picked for it but a few seams in and I had gone off it.
The fabric is a cotton sateen bought in Fabric World, 49C Goldhawk Road. The shine is just right, there is a slight stretch to it which makes it super comfy. There is no need to pattern matching as the print is quite large.
I had decided on some major pattern hacks by inserting sheer panels in the bodice and the sleeves and combining Vogue 2979 for a different collar. V2979 is a wedding dress!!
I initially loved the idea but did find, half way through it, that I was over doing it. I thought my ideas were too over the top. The quirky fabric was too much for all of this. Sometime simple make calls for a simple fabric.
I left it on the side and didn’t touch it for 18 months.
And then something happened on February 28 I dyed my hair purple.
With a cool hair-do should come a cool, unusual wardrobe and thank God I can sew and quickly adapt my style. What a fashion advantage! However, being on a fabric shopping diet meant that I wasn’t allowed to buy new fabrics and had to make do with what I had.
Out came my culotte jumpsuit. Hint of dark blue, purple, quirky. Bingo!
I resurrected it, with confidence this time. With hair like this I could make it work!
The amount of fabric for the bottom part is maybe heavy and annoying to manipulate but this make has nothing technical to trip you up. I made the construction more complicated with my paneling! What was I thinking?
The pattern had a 2 sleeves version.
I do not like my arms exposed and preferred the version with sleeves. However they looked a bit plain and uninspiring. I rummaged through my stash and found 0.50cm of sheer fabric. I figured out that adding a sheer band at the sleeves would instantly create something more interesting. That’s how the paneling idea came about. Once you start with this sort of details you feel like you have to reference it somewhere else. I had just enough fabric to tackled the bodice.
The bodice was subject to more alteration with the collar. I had to redraft it to combine Vogue 2979 and the high neck. Pretty easy to do. I transferred both front bodice pattern pieces onto pattern paper, align them at the shoulder seam and ignore the neckline of the original.
In all honesty, when I started this make, I didn’t have the skills I have today and the errors I found in what I did 18 months earlier were not pretty.
- Seams unaligned
- Wonky panels
- Inside pockets completely gaping
Do I need to go on? Oh yes awful first trial at an invisible zip!
It took a lot of unpicking but fixing the errors was relatively easy (and I hate fixing wonky makes, I usually give up on them). The experience acquired in the elapsed time was helpful. I finished it in no time!
One thing I didn’t do was check the crotch was not too low. It was! I tried to hide it with a higher waist line but I think it shows on the fitting sadly 🙁
So here it is: My Vogue 9075.
Moral of the story: quirky prints, quirky fashion is for everyone. You just have to trust your instincts and try something different.
I feel really cool, edgy and sophisticated. If I’d ever cross path with a woman dressed like this I really would find her captivating. It’s a simple make made complex with the alteration and the print.
And pattern hacking is really fun to and give you full control of your look. Try it!