Textile and Senses : The photos!!

Bonjour,

On October the 15th, I let my fashion ideas loose on a makeshift London runway in celebration of Black History Month. My first fashion show. My first collection. Argh! Sounds funny saying this!

Auditioning for the Great British Sewing Bee and having my mistakes shown on national TV was one thing but designing and creating garments for a concept fashion show was another! I won’t sugar coat this. It was stressful! But I also thoroughly enjoyed the experience and wish to do it again and again!

The theme of the main event was “Success and Achievements” and I choose to channel this theme through a single colour for the collection: Purple

Because of its rarity as a natural dye, purple symbolised nobility and success as far back as the 18th century. Today we still associate those qualities with this regal colour despite it being commonly used in textiles.

“Textile and Senses”

… is therefore focused on textile selection, meaning the colours and emotions associated with particular textiles, rather than the complexity of the design, and construction of garments themselves. The sewing is all my own work and I’m really proud of how the garments turned out.

In the next few weeks I will give you the low down on the work it took to get me there, to make the show a success – from selecting the fabrics, designing the garments, organising the show and styling the look for each garment.

At this point I should thank Great British Sewing Bee alum, Duncan Carter for his eye for styling. He was a precious help throughout the process and on the day was a total professional with the models (my friends), as he was calming and practical in approaching the tasks needed to make the night a success.

See you next week for more insights into each textile, their senses and emotions but until then enjoy the photos!! Don’t forget to sign up to the newsletter so that you miss a thing! Leave a comment. Let me know what you think

Duncan Carter – Stylist: http://www.duncancarter.co.uk/

Sony P. – Photography: https://www.instagram.com/sonphilo/

Stephanie A. – Digital Marketing: likeapro.marketing

Sesames – Origami for Origami Flowers Photo #12: @Sesames_Origami

Florise L.  – Make up

Thread Head Fabrics @THFabrics

My friends and models for the day and the helpers: Florise L, Dionne F, Astrid B, Sophia N, Collette V, Alicia M, Muriel N.

I am truly blessed to have you in my life.

dsc_0404

21 Comments

1. Clare

Wow! I love the photos from your show! The formal wear is stunning, Ghislaine! Did you make your own outfit for the event too? It’s beautiful! Personally I would love one of those dresses with the purple and teal. Gorgeous! Looking forward to reading more about the show.

• Ghislaine Gazon

Thanks Clare. The formal wear in green and purple? As you know this fabric was tricky to find 🙂
      I did make my own outfit yes, silk for the top and organza satin twinkle for the skirt. Magical name for a fabric!

2. Natacha Odonnat

Les couleurs sont magnifiques. Je me vois porter plusieurs modèles.

• Ghislaine Gazon

Merci Natacha! C’est encourageant de savoir que mes modèles plaisent!!

3. Josy

Magnifique travail ! Bravo à toi et â Duncan !

You did it Sis !!

• Ghislaine Gazon

Merci! It was a lot of fun to do!

4. josette

Bravo. Tu fais toujours de magnifiques réalisations et pas seulement pour les vêtements. La robe longue est mon coup de coeur et celle croisée dans le dos. Hâte de voir de nouveaux modèles.

• Ghislaine Gazon

Merci!! La robe longue semble plaire! Tant mieux! J’espère faire un autre show avec d’autres modeles l’année prochaine

5. Florence

Belles photos! je suppose qu’avec le recul, tu te rends d’avantage compte de l’évolution de ton travail!

6. Diane Warburton

They all look amazing outfits but I can only half appreciate the stress you msut’very felt getting all that organised, never mind the actual sewing! Well done indeed!

• Ghislaine Gazon

Thank you Diane! Funny enough I want to do it again. I enjoyed it. The fabric selection played a massive impact on the beauty of the garments, don’t you think?

7. Céline

Magnifiques!!! Des couleurs merveilleuses! Je porterai définitivement la robe longue et serai prête a essayer la combinaison mauve!

• Ghislaine Gazon

Merci! La robe longue semble etre la preferee en effet. La combinaison est super fun

8. Cleo Costa

Very nice fabrics and colours too

• Ghislaine Gazon

Thanks Cleo! Means I have done my fabric and colour selection really well then! 🙂

9. Nadiège RAMEAU

super!! vraiment du beau travail. J’aime particulièrement la robe longue et celle qui a les bretelles croisées dans le dos.

• Ghislaine Gazon

Merci! Je te vois tres bien porter la robe grise bretelles croisées

10. Élodie

Super défilé Ghislaine ! De très jolies créations. Tu es vraiment très douée ! Mais tu as de qui tenir…
    Ma préférée est la robe avec la ceinture mauve qui marque la taille! Le tissu est magnifique avec ses couleurs chatoyantes !! J’adore
    Tes modèles ont eu beaucoup de chance de défiler avec ces tenues !!

• Ghislaine Gazon

Merci Elodie! Mes modeles ont eu la chance de porter mes tenues mais comme ce sont des amies tres cheres et c’est moi qui est eu de la chance de les avoir. Elles ont jouees le jeu. Ta robe preferee est aussi la mienne. Les couleurs et l’imprime sont super fun!

11. Sandra

Hi Ghislaine,

I’m so glad your debut fashion show went very well. The photos look fantastic, the colours are vibrant and beautiful and superbly modeled by all (including you!!).

You are living your dream……keep the momentum 🙂

• Ghislaine Gazon

Thanks Sandra. Glad you liked them. It is hard work but I am loving it!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Catching up with Ghislaine Gazon from the Great British Sewing Bee Season 4! - Thread Head Fabrics - […] Read about her awesome fashion show here. […]

Submit a Comment